Sellafield nuclear site plans cuts as chief says £... The Guardian

Sellafield nuclear site plans cuts as chief says £2.8bn funding ‘not enough’

Source: The Guardian | Published: February 24, 2025, 3:02 p.m.

Exclusive: Union concerned over safety as site’s bosses say budget does not cover work planned

Sellafield has said nearly £3bn in new funding is “not enough” and bosses are now examining swingeing cuts, prompting fears over jobs and safety at the vast nuclear waste dump.

The Cumbrian nuclear site, which is home to the world’s largest store of plutonium, was last week awarded £2.8bn for the next financial year, the bulk of the total of just over £4bn funds allotted to the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority, a taxpayer-owned and funded quango.

Continue reading...
Read Original Article Back to News List